I always search for different sambhar/chutneys/korma for tiffin.Being a native of Tamil nadu, most of us make idly/dosa at least 4-5 days in a week.I dont like to repeat the same side dishes.So whenever i browse , meet my friends ,neighbors , i surely ask them for side dish they make for idly/dosa/chapatti.
Last week my school friend called me and we talked more than one hour discussing our past, present etc:) I asked her about the side dishes.She told me the recipe for this gravy and i tried for dosa.Of course it tastes well with chapatti too by making it little thick. Very simple and delicious..I made it very little , please adjust all the ingredients according to ur requirement.
- Tomato – 2 nos (chopped )
- Big onion – 1 no (finely chopped)
- Salt & water – as needed
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Coconut – forefinger size piece.
- Ginger - 1` inch size
- Green chilly – 1-2 nos(i added one)
- Fennel seeds/Soambu/Perunjeeragam – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Chop and cook the tomatoes.
- Grind all the items given under “to grind “ along with cooked tomatoes using required water.Make it a paste.Set aside.
- Now heat the kadai with a tsp of oil and season all the items given above.Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent.
- Now add the ground tomato masala to it and boil till raw smell leaves it. May take 5 mins.Add water if u make it for idly/dosa.If for chapatti, add less water so that gravy should be thick.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve!!
Try and let me know!!
Thanks a lot to shama for passing me two wonderful awards:)
Blogging with purpose and friends awards:)