- QUAKER OATS – 1 /2 CUP
- Butter milk –2 cups or half cup of sour curd
- Water & Salt – As needed
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Red chilly – 1 no ( Pinched into two )
- Curry leaves – a few
- Asafetida – 2 pinches
- Ginger – a small piece ( finely chopped)
- Soak the oats in water for 15 mins . This step is purely optional.
- Pressure cook the oats till one whistle.Mash it well with a ladle.
- Now add the buttermilk and salt. ( Add less buttermilk if it is too sour)
- Temper all the items given above and add it to the oats mixture.
- Mix well.Garnish with coriander leaves.
- If u feel the porridge is too sour, add milk or water to reduce the sourness and adjust the salt accordingly .
- U can add finely chopped raw mango pieces to get a nice flavor and taste.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it can affect mood and energy level for the entire day. And the best way to start your day is Oatmeal. Oatmeal has long ranked among the best foods for fighting cholesterol. A single bowl of oatmeal provides all essential nutrients like complex carbohydrates, B vitamins, fiber, and minerals such as phosphorous, iron, selenium, and calcium.
The Oat (Avena sativa) was originally cultivated in southern Europe some 5000 years ago. Hippocrates wrote that oats made into porridge or gruel (a thin porridge) is refreshing and helps hydration. During wars, the Scottish soldiers use to carry a bag of oatmeal as a source of strength. They also believed that it could build and regenerate bones and ligaments.
We are all aware of the high fiber content of Oats but very few people know about the other benefits of Oats. These include:
Be sure that you have a bowl of oatmeal every morning. Your body will thank you for it!