This is my mom’s signature dish.I am a big fan of this curry. It tastes gr8 with sambar rice. Its a famous recipe among south (Tirunelveli) & kerala..We make this specially for guests ..I think most of u make this @home. Every time when i try to make this, i never get it perfect like my mom.Recently when my parents visited me , I told my mom to make it , i stood nearby and noted down all the steps.I should have done this before my marriage . Do try this with simple tips i learnt from my mom. U’ll love it ..
**Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Cut all the vegetables of 1.5 inch size.Put everything in water until use.
- Grind all the items given under “to grind” with little water. First run the coconut & chillies together to make a paste, Then add the small onions & jeera and run the mixie once or twice to crush it.
- In a wide mouthed bowl , take the carrot , drum stick and beans.Add water just for the vegetables to immerse and allow it to cook for sometime by covering the bowl with a lid.
- After it is half cooked , add the potato , raw banana, brinjal . Make sure the vegetables are not over cooked.It should not be mushy. Total cooking time would be 20-25 mins in med high flame.
- Check the amount of water in between otherwise the veggies would be burnt.
- Finally add the ground coconut paste, turmeric powder, salt, curry leaves & coconut oil .. Toss well and simmer the flame.Allow it to boil for 5 mins.
- Temper the mustard seeds and add to avial.
- Cover it with a lid to retain the flavour and aroma.
Yummy , aromatic , flavourful avial is ready to enjoy with sambar rice..!!
Last but not the least ,when u make it for ur guests and if the aviyal lefts over , u can use it the next day by making pazhang curry..