KALI / ADAI / VEG KOOTU |7 kari kootuSignificance of Arudra darshan
Arudhra Darshan or Arudara Darshan is observed in the Tamil month of Margazhi (December – January). It is essentially a Shaivite festival and celebrates the cosmic dance of Lord Shiva, which is represented by the Nataraja form. Arudra festival is celebrated with fervour in Lord Shiva temples in Tamil Nadu, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa, Australia and in other parts of the world by Tamil speaking population.Arudhra signifies the golden red flame and Shiva performs in the form of this red-flamed light.
The cosmic dance of Lord Shiva represents five activities – Creation, Protection, Destruction, Embodiment and Release. In essence, it represents the continuous cycle of creation and destruction.Arudra Darshan celebrates this ecstatic dance of Lord Shiva.
It takes place on the full moon night in the month of Margazhi and this is also the longest night in a year. The festival is mainly observed in the Tamil speaking world.The most important Arudhra Darshan festival takes place at the Chidambaram Shiva Temple in Tamil Nadu. Most of the temples around the world with Lord Nataraja as deity perform the Arudhra Darshan.
As per the Puranaas, on this day Lord Shiva has shown this blissful dance that energizes this world to two of his devotees - Vyagrapadha and Adisesha (on whom Lord Vishnu Reside). Hence this day is celebrated, in appreciation of the cosmic dance of Lord Shiva, by offering Prayers to the Nataraja aspect of the Lord.
Special prayers are held on the day at all Shiva temples. Milk, honey, water, sandal paste and other cooling liquids are offered to Lord Shiva on this day. This is to cool a burning and turbulent Shiva who is performing the Tandava – the cosmic dance of Nataraja.
Special abhishekam, rituals and celebrations are held on the night of Thiruvathirai.
In our home, we celebrate this festival by offering kali ,kootu and adai to Lord Nataraja.We tie a yellow rope in our hands.We also draw maakolam all over our house.My MIL draws a procession car(Thaer)with shivalingam in the center and keep it in Pooja room as idol .
I’ve attached the photo of our Pooja room with all the offerings in the end of this page!!
Here is the recipe with a picture..
- Dry roast the moong dhal in a hot kadai till light brown(nice aroma comes).Set aside. Dry roast the rice in the same hot kadai till it becomes golden brown(this color of rice gives the flavor for kali) .
- Now grind the rice in the mixie (Run once or twice .It should be just broken like rava/semolina) ..No need to grind the moong dal.
- Pressure cook rice and moong dal with 2.25 cups of water & a drop of oil.cook it for 1-2 whistles(rice should be separate).It shouldn’t be overcooked.Rice should be fluffy and separate..Set aside.No problem if the rice is slightly mushy. When it cools down , it will be seperate..
- Break the jaggery into pieces.Run the grated coconut in the mixie once or twice.
- Now take a bowl with the jaggery and put in very little water(should immerse).
- Melt and make a syrup by keeping in medium flame .This is done because sometimes jaggery has mud and stones.After we make the syrup,strain it in a metal strainer. Now add the grated coconut to the syrup and bring it to boil till frothy. Add the jaggery syrup into the cooked rice mixture and add a tsp of ghee.Mix well by keeping on the flame.Take care to stir continuously, so as not to charr. Switch off the flame after few minutes..
- Finally, add the fried cashew and mix it.
Note : Instead of making jaggery syrup , u can directly add thr jaggery & grated coconut to the rice mixture
Delicious RICE KALI is ready to eat!!!
- Wash and Soak rice in water for 2 hrs.
- Strain the water and Spread the rice in a paper or cloth for 5-10 mins .Water content gets absorbed and rice will become dry with little moisture.Now grind it in the mixie till it becomes a nice powder.Add cardamom with the rice so that it will be grinded nicely.
- Now sift the rice flour and remove the coarse ones.Fry it in the dry kadai till vapour comes. Set aside.
- For ready made rice flour also ,dry roast till vapour comes. Please don’t roast too much as it will break the adai. Remove as soon as vapour comes out.Do it in low flame.Now take the jaggery in a bowl & add 1.5 cups of water..Keep it in a medium flame and melt the jaggery. Strain it to remove impurities.
- Let it boil for sometime . Now simmer the flame and add the rice flour. Mix it well.
- Make sure there are no lumps .The mixture will become thick and all the water gets absorbed into the rice flour. Remove from the flame and let it warm.Knead well to make it soft.. Make balls of even size.
- Take a small polythene sheet or Plantain leaf .Spread the ball with hands and make it like Poori. We usually keep 7 nos for neivedyam ..
- Heat a dosa tawa .Sprinkle some oil/ghee and put the adai into it.Cook till it becomes light golden brown. Cook it in med flame.
- Flip it once. cook for sometime and enjoy eating hot!!
Shelf life: 1 week.( U can refrigerate the cooked dough and make adai at ur will)
MIXED VEG KOOTU
Method to prepare:
- Cut all the vegetables and tomato in even size.
- Pressure cook the vegetables by adding dal , reqd salt and keep it for 1 whistle(Vegetables shouldn’t be mashed or overcooked)
- Grind the coconut with green chilly to make a paste by adding water.
- Add onions(optional) and jeera to it and run once.Onions should be just crushed.If u want , add a tsp of rice flour to this ground mixture & mix well ..
- Add the ground mixture to the cooked veggies by keeping on the flame.Boil till the raw smell of onion leaves.Adjust the consistency by adding water if required..
- Heat a kadai with a tbsp of coconut oil and temper with mustard,urad dal and curry leaves and add to the above mixture.Delicious , healthy veg. kootu is ready!!
We use ONLY Naatu kaai ( ie local vegetables ;)) on this occasion..ie , sweeet potato, pumpkin, cluster beans,Raw banana , broad beans , bitter gourd & Ladies finger.. The First picture is the one with local veggies, the second kootu picture is with all the above veggies mentioned in the recipe..Try with the vegetables which u get in ur place :)
1. Sweet Potatoes:
important nutrients. To get the maximum health benefits, experts recommend eating a variety of fruits and vegetables along with other natural foods.
Last but not the least,Here is our pooja room picture..
Hope u all enjoyed reading thiruvathirai at our home and try all the recipes:)
May the Lord bless us with all happiness and fortune!!
Technorati Tags: Thiruvadhirai,thiruvaathirai,aarudra darshan,thiruvaadhirai offerings,thiruvadhirai kali,thiruvathirai kali,thiruvathirai kali recipe,kootu,adai.thiruvathirai kali,thiruvathirai kali kootu adai,adai kali kootu recipes,mixed vegetable kootu .,Vegetable kootu,Aviyal,ezhu kai kootu,ezhu kari kootu,veg kootu,thiruvathirai kootu recipe,thiruvathirai adai recipe,step by step pics,step by step recipe