COCONUT – URAD DAL CHUTNEYIngredients:
- Medium sized coconut – half / 1 cup (grated)
- Urad dhal –1.5 tbsp
- Red chilly – 5-7 nos (increase if u want)
- Tamarind - Small gooseberry size
- Salt & water – as needed
- asafetida / hing – 1/4 tsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Cooking oil – 2 tsp
- Grate one-half of medium sized coconut and keep aside.Soak tamarind in little water..
- Heat a kadai with cooking oil and add the red chilly , urad dal and fry till urad dal turns golden brown.
- Now add the hing/asafetida and switch off the flame.
- Transfer it to a plate and let it cool.
- Now run the roasted mixture with salt & tamarind in a mixie once and add the grated coconut and run once .
- Now add the water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat the kadai with 1 tbsp of sesame oil and add the chutney to it. Saute it well. The water in the chutney gets absorbed and becomes thick .
- Now transfer it to a bowl with spoon and pack it in a separate box for travel.
ONION – URAD DAL CHUTNEYIngredients:
- Big onion – 1 no ( chopped )
- Small onion – 5-10 nos (peeled n chopped)
- Tamarind – 2 seeds (small berry size)
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Red chilly – 4 nos (adjust to ur taste)
- Salt & water – as needed.
- Cooking and gingely oil – 1 tbsp each
- Heat a kadai with 1 tbsp of cooking oil and roast the urad dal and red chilly till light golden brown.Set aside.
- In the same kadai with the remaining oil , saute the chopped big and small onions together till transparent.
- Grind all the above with tamarind,reqd salt and water to a smooth paste.
- Now heat the kadai and add the sesame/gingely oil .No need to temper.Its optional.
- Once it is hot add the chutney to it and saute well till it becomes thick in a medium flame.
- Now pack it separately in a banana leaf/plastic container/zip lock bags with a spoon for travel.
Always use ladle / spoon for serving this chutney , please dont use your hands,it gets spoiled!! There is no need to saute the chutney in sesame oil when u dont carry for travel.U can eat as it is after grinding!!
|Please refer here for info on coconut. |
For urad dal ,here.
For onions , here.
For red chillies ,here.
Varsha and priya have passed me this honorable award.They have rated my blog as “Excellent”.Thanks a ton dearies.Iam very much touched:)