As my mom is basically from Tirunelveli,she makes authentic tirunelveli recipes very well.This is one of the signature dishes of her..Usually Sodhi is prepared only when we have special guests @home,especially for newly married couples.So it is called as “Maapillai sodhi”. Its completely made out of coconut milk & its a bit time consuming process too.The best accompaniment for sodhi is ginger pachadi which helps in easy digestion of coconut milk.So if u plan to make this , don’t forget to prepare ginger pachadi ..Also we make raw banana chips to munch
GINGER PACHADI / INJI PACHADI
Serve with sodhi ..
|COCONUT : |
Cosmetics and skin treatmentsCoconut oil is excellent as a skin moisturizer and softener. A study shows that extra virgin coconut oil is effective and safe when used as a moisturizer, with absence of adverse reactions. Although not suitable for use with condoms, coconut oil may be used as a lubricant for sexual intercourse, though it may cause an allergic reaction in some.
Fractionated coconut oil is also used in the manufacture of essences, massage oils and cosmetics
In India and Sri Lanka, coconut oil is commonly used for styling hair, and cooling or soothing the head. People of Tamil Nadu and other coastal areas such as Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Goa bathe in warm water after applying coconut oil all over the body and leaving it as is for an hour in the belief it keeps the body, skin, and hair healthy.
I'm not talking about its benefits only . For all its healing miracles, this super food does contain some disadvantages though.
Disadvantage #1 - No Effect on Common Cold
The medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) in it can kill many types of viruses, including influenza virus that causes flu. But they're helpless against the virus (rhinovirus) that triggers common cold. In fact, no medications or herbal remedies are capable of fighting rhinovirus, except your body immune system. MCFAs effectively deal with the infection by producing specific antibodies, which disarm the virus-infected cells.
Of course, any infection could leave your immune system vulnerable to invasion by more bacteria, germs and viruses. That's where MCFAs come into play.
MCFAs help you kill those harmful microorganisms and ease the burden off your immune system so that it can focus on fighting the cold virus effectively. So it's still important to eat coconut oil when you're down with common cold.
Disadvantage #2 - Excessive May Harm
Just because I said coconut oil is healthy doesn't mean you start scoffing a ton of it. You could end up running diarrhea-like symptoms if your body is not used to such sudden change.
Go slow with 1 to 2 teaspoons each time and gradually increase to 3 or 4 tablespoons a day.
The traditional Pacific islanders are taking as much as 10 tablespoons of the "liquid crystal" in their daily diet, I don't see why we can't be like them. The key difference is they've long been used to that amount while we're not, so you have to moderately add the dosage to condition your body into adapting to it eventually.
Disadvantage #3 - Flavor Sucks!
Most people love its aromatic flavor. However, like durian, some people may not like it.
So, if the original smell or taste of this liquid crystal just doesn't appeal to you, fret not, you still have 2 options.
1. If you can't eat by the spoonful on its own, mix it into the food or beverage you're having.
2. You can use it in cooking oil. Just replace your usual oil with it and you're absorbing healthful MCFAs without excess fat intake. It's that simple.
Coconut oil possesses many wonderful health benefits which can more than offset the 3 disadvantages listed above but sadly, it has yet to be appreciated by many. Even some doctors, scientists and nutritionists believe it is as bad as animal fat.
That's how it gained the bad impression of this liquid crystal is.
On the contrary, the MCFAs protect and treat your body against a wide range of diseases - heart disease, high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, cancers, Crohn's disease, kidney failure etc, just to name a few. They're easy to digest and help you to lose weight too.
Yes, you heard me correctly - it's also able to burn off those stubborn excess body fats that cause your weight gain. All this can be achieved in a natural, healthy way.
Enjoy sodhi with ginger pachadi,chips and potato poriyal
KOLA URUNDAL KUZHAMBU FROM MY SIL's blog
Thanks a lot Raji for this yummy Kuzhambu.We like it very much.Sometimes i make this without urundai if i feel lazy
AWARDS & A TAG
Priyaraj has passed me this wonderful award., thanks a lot dear.
Also sanghi has honored me by announcing as her diamond friend.So sweet of u dear
Thanks a lot Sushma , Lavi , priyaraj , Ashwini & srividya for passing me this tag.I’ve done but not so interesting
1. A – Available/Single? Married
2. B – Best friend? Yamini in school days & shalini in college days ..Still we are the best ;)
3. C – Cake or Pie? Cake
4. D – Drink of choice? Milk with Lion dates syrup
5. E – Essential item you use every day? Salt in my cooking
6. F – Favorite color? RED
7. G – Gummy Bears Or Worms? Nil
8. H – Hometown? Salem
9. I – Indulgence? At present Sleep because the time is 12 midnight .
10. J – January or February? July , my birth month ;)
11. K – Kids & their names? One & Only Daughter, Raksha (2.5 yrs old)..
12. L – Life is incomplete without? Friends
13. M – Marriage date? 21 / 04 / 05
14. N – Number of siblings? cute , younger sister
15. O – Oranges or Apples? Apples
16. P – Phobias/Fears? Fears
17. Q – Quote for today? We teach what we live.
18. R – Reason to smile? jokes
19. S – Season? Spring
20. T – Tag 4 People? Most of u have completed this tag already. So no need i feel.
21. U – Unknown fact about me? Stubborn crane ;) My hubby knows it
22. V – Vegetable you don't like ? Love all the vegetables. My MIL praise me for this :)
23. W - Worst habit – Same , stubbornness only
24. X – X-rays you've had? Don’t remember..
25. Y – Your favorite food? Idly upma
26. Z – Zodiac sign? Leo
Have a happy weekend friends.Bye
Technorati Tags: Sodhi kuzhambu recipe,Tirunelveli sodhi kuzhambu,Sothi kuzhambu,Sodhi kuzhambu,Tirunelveli lunch menu