Last weekend i was breaking my head thinking about wat to prepare for dinner.Finally i asked my hubby what he wanted to have. He told me to prepare upma urundai and also he said its been a very long time we prepared this.Yes , I agreed i totally forgot about this dish.Immediately i gave a call to my MIL for the recipe and made it. It was tasting soft and excellent. Thanks to my hubby for reminding this yummy tiffin.Also i've got a different recipe to share with u all :)
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Toor dal - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 cups
To temper :
- Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida /Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Green chilly - 1 no ( cut into two)
- Ginger - 1 inch piece ( cut into small pieces)
- Curry leaves - A few
Salt & water - as needed.
- Soak the rice and toor dal together for two hours.
- Coarse grind the rice & dal mixture in a mixie. Run the mixie only once.(Please do not grind for more time) The rice & dal should be just broken.
- Now in a broad kadai , temper all the items given above in the same order.
- Add 2 cups of water and the required salt.Allow it to boil.Now add the ground rice mixture.Mix well for sometime without forming lumps.Let it thicken.
- The rice absorbs all the water and becomes a non sticky dough.
- Let it cool down. Now grease the idly plate with little oil. Make balls out of the dough and arrange it in the greased idly plate.Steam the balls for 10-15 mins.
Soft , hot upma urundai is ready to serve. We enjoyed with the sambhar i made for lunch. U can have it with any chutney. Sometimes this can be made as a evening snack without any accompaniment.