- Brinjal – 1 no (Medium size)
- Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
- Red chilly – 5- 6 nos
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Tamarind – 1 big seed
- Hing – a pinch
- Salt & water – As needed
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Hing /Asafetida – A pinch
- I used MW for roasting / burning the brinjal.Slit cut the brinjal into 4 pieces and brush with oil.
- MW high for 3-5 mins.(adjust acc to ur MW , I kept for 5 mins.)
- The skin will come out easily and the brinjal gets cooked.U can do the same on stove top in low to medium flame.Let it cool.Then remove the skin and set aside.
- Heat a kadai with a little oil and roast the mustard , red chillies with urad dal and hing.
- Grind the brinjal, redchillies ,hing and tamarind along with salt and little water.
- Finally add the roasted urad dal and mustard seeds ..coarse grind it.Add water if necessary.[Be sure the brinjal gets mashed completely.Only the urad dal should be coarse].Temper it at the end.
- Serve with idli/Dosa by mixing with Sesame /Gingely oil.
The same chutney can be had with rice by grinding with 1/2 tsp of pepper and 3 flakes of garlic along with the above said ingredients.Serve it topped with ghee!!
TRIED & TASTED
METHI DAL FROM PHANITHA’S KITCHENETTE
I always make Aloo methi and when i came across this in phanitha’s blog, i immediately bookmarked it.With Dal it’s really a healthy , yummy dish.We mixed with rice & ghee and enjoyed it.Thanks Dear.A very tasty one..
Thanks a lot Sushma , Lavi , priyaraj , Ashwini for passing me this honorable award.But sorry friends , i’ll do the tag in my next post.I really need some time to think and write. Hope u all will forgive me