This is a tasty side dish for idly.Whenever i have ripe tomatoes in my hand,first side dish that comes to my mind is this thokku. I learnt this from my mom. Very easy to prepare . U can try this for chapathi too.Ideal side dish for trip / travel ..
- Ripe tomatoes – 1/4 kg
- Big onion – 2 nos (finely chopped )
- Tamarind – 1 small piece ( Optional )
- Red chilly powder – 1.5 - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt & water – As needed
To temper :
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – A few
Coriander leaves – To garnish
- Cube cut tomatoes and finely chop the onions.
- In a kadai,add oil and temper the items given above.
- Now add the onions and saute till transparent.
- Then add the tomato pieces and saute till it becomes mushy.
- Add the turmeric & red chilly powder along with salt.
- Mix well and add the required water to cook. Cover with a lid.
- After sometime ,check whether the onion & tomato gets cooked.
- Once the mixture thickens, add the coriander leaves and serve hot..
Tastes divine with hot idlies ;)
KITCHEN CLINIC :
Starting with the basics, tomatoes contain large amounts of vitaminC, providing 40 percent of the daily value (DV). They also contain 15 percent DV of vitamin A, 8 percent DV of potassium, and 7 percent of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of iron for women and 10 percent RDA for men.
The red pigment contained in tomatoes is called lycopene. This compound appears to act as an antioxidant, neutralizing free radicals that can damage cells in the body. Only recently, studies have revealed that lycopene may have twice the punch of another well-known antioxidant beta carotene. Studies conducted by Harvard researchers have discovered that men who consumed 10 servings of tomatoes a week, or the equivalent to 10 slices of pizza, can cut the risk of developing prostate cancer by a formidable 45 percent. However, its benefits are not limited to the prostate. Italian researchers have found that those who consume more that 7 servings of raw tomatoes lower the risk of developing rectal colon or stomach cancers by 60 percent. Israeli researchers have found that lycopene is a powerful inhibitor of lung, breast, and endometrial cancer cells. Research has also indicated that the lycopene in tomatoes can help older people stay active longer.